Sunday 4 December 2011

     No Victor No Vanquish (1)


No victor no vanquish” he says
After battering me for three years
Like the clay prepared for mud house
As if in search of a greedy mouse
My house he turned to rubbles
With bomb shells like bubbles
My water he poisoned too
Eve amid the stomach’s rumbles
The world was watching too

Cumming bruised my wounds
And made them fresh in all bounds
Elbert was Matthew’s busy ant
Fanning the flames that burnt my hut
“Go on!” they said, “Gow-on! Gow-on!”
And ceased the food for the minion
Just because I asked for my right
The human right.

Ignoring the words we ate at Aburi
He came with friends to bury
From different corners they gow-on
So to make me a minion
But I alone I stood
With rusty courage and knife as I could
And I was busy crying
Yet the world was watching

“Odim egwu!” screamed my noble son
My most noble son
Who trampled on the olive truce
And crossed the seas and hills abroad
To appease the god
gods that have stubs in their ears
gods that sprayed fuel and hid in tears
gods that patted with one hand
And the other the embers fanned
Yet the world was watching

No victor no vanquish they said
And made my son drop his sword
Yet he turned Asaba to an abattoir
For bloods in the reservoir
In the Niger washing faces away
For Mr. Geno’s side to sway
Yet the word was watching

“Uwa, zuruike” I have said
Else my spirit would not rest
Because my wounds are still fresh
The world is still watching
And have said nothing

To be continued….


No comments:

Post a Comment